RB Roy Finch to miss Fiesta Bowl with stress fracture
Oklahoma freshman running back Roy Finch will miss the Fiesta Bowl due to a “recurrence of a stress fracture injury in his left foot” suffered during Friday’s practice.
Team physicians performed surgery Saturday to insert two pins.
Bob Stoops said Finch will be sidelined for up to seven weeks, but is expected back in time for the team’s spring workouts.
Friday’s injury occurred in a non-contact drill. He missed the first five games of the season with a similar injury.
The injury is a blow to the Sooner offense, which had been clicking the last few weeks of the season in part due to Finch’s emergence.
The last four games, Finch had rushed for 67, 33, 42 and 37 yards and scored two touchdowns.
He was instrumental to the dynamic “diamond formation” OU unveiled at Baylor which placed him, DeMarco Murray and fullback Trey Millard in the same backfield at once.
With Finch out, the Sooners will likely turn to senior Mossis Madu to back up Murray. After a midseason benching due to fumbling, Madu had gradually worked his way back on the field.
He had three carries for 12 yards and a 15-yard reception against Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients