Football: Oklahoma’s current quarterback crop made Cody Thomas worth the risk
The biggest questionmark about such a commitment is his potential professional baseball career. Thomas (whose highlight video can be seen above) will likely be drafted next summer.
Just last year, OU dealt with a similar situation when Broken Arrow’s Archie Bradley was drafted No. 7 overall by the Arizona Diamondbacks. He was signed with OU on a baseball scholarship, but planned to play football as well. However, after being drafted, he chose the professional baseball route.
Thomas sounds firmly committed to being a Sooner, but who knows at this point what he’ll do if/when he is drafted?
Either way, OU is set up pretty good for the future at quarterback. Sophomore Blake Bell looked strong in April’s spring game and seems, at least for the time being, like the favorite to succeed Landry Jones for the 2013 season.
Junior Drew Allen is, of course, still in the mix. The back-up QB job hasn’t officially been made Bell’s, and it was Allen who shined brighter than Bell in the 2011 spring game.
Kendal Thompson, the Southmoore product who redshirted last season and is the son of former OU star Charles Thompson, has earned the respect and praise of his teammates but is a longshot to beat out Bell or Allen next season.
Then, of course, there’s Trevor Knight, the dual-threat true-freshman-to-be from San Antonio who was the nation’s No. 6-ranked quarterback prospect, according to Rivals.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients