Stoops: Keeping players all in for bowl a challenge
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops admitted Tuesday that keeping upperclassmen players “all in” from the end of the season to the bowl game has been a challenge in the past.
“That’s a legitimate factor,” Stoops said during his pre-Fiesta Bowl press conference — the Sooners will meet Connecticut on Jan. 1.
“Juniors and seniors already with a foot out the door. We had a bunch of kids already graduate, they’re on to the next step as soon as they walk out your locker room they’re in to something different after that game. Or a junior that’s going out early. And that is an issue that in these games can be hard to manage, too.
“It’s talking to them about it, reasoning with them to stay all in until after the game then make those decisions. Because I believe if they already know exactly what they’re doing, subconsciously, they’ve got a foot out, instead of waiting.”
Stoops also confessed that could have been a factor in any of OU’s five straight bowl losses. In most of those games, the Sooners had several underclassmen that declared for the NFL Draft the following week.
“It could have been,” Stoops said. “For me to say definitely is not fair to say. But excuse or not, it hasn’t helped maybe.”
The bulk of this OU team, however, is first- and second-year players who aren’t eligible for the NFL Draft.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4197Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3743Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients