Softball: Coach Patty Gasso reflects on being ‘annihilated’ by Arizona and how it made her better
Oklahoma won a Super Regional at Arizona last season to advance to the Women’s College World Series. This year, the Wildcats visit Norman for a Super Regional, which begins with Game 1 Friday at 1 p.m.
“We’re not even looking back at last year,” Gasso said. “That might be their motive, but it’s a new team. It’s a completely different journey.”
But she did take time near the end of her news conference to reflect on the respect she has for Arizona’s program, and how that respect helped her build her own.
During Gasso’s first season in Norman (1995), her Sooners faced Arizona six times and lost each game in embarrassing fashion: 12-1, 8-2, 7-0, 13-5, 19-1 and 11-3.
The next year, the Sooners and Wildcats played three times; Arizona won 10-0, 10-0 and 2-1.
“I modeled my program, honestly, after Arizona when they would absolutely hammer us and humiliate us when I was a new coach,” Gasso said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3632How to help tornado victims
- 3582Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3172Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients