Best wins of the Bob Stoops era: No. 4, OU 65, Texas Tech 21 (2008)
When: Nov. 22, 2008
Where: Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, Norman
Oklahoman headline: TECH THAT!
Why it’s on the list: This song will forever be a reminder of this night, when OU destroyed No. 2 Texas Tech and their national championship hopes — and Graham Harrell’s Heisman hopes — and vaulted itself back into the title hunt. OU scored early and often, and the crowd, which Bob Stoops had challenged earlier in the week, well, jumped around. Loudly. The Sooners, who lost to Texas earlier in the season, were all of the sudden back in the discussion for not only the Big 12 title game, but the national championship game. By the end of the regular season, OU, Texas and Texas Tech were tied atop the Big 12 South standings but the Sooners, with this game a huge help, were ranked highest in the BCS standings and played in the Big 12 championship game. Sooners QB Sam Bradford won the Heisman Trophy, but OU went on to lose to Florida in the national title game.
Here is Berry Tramel’s column from the game:
Fans jump for joy on special Saturday night
NORMAN — The Sooners started jumping early. Jumping, jumping, jumping, like the sidelines were spring loaded. Jumping like kids turned loose in a mattress factory.
Truth is, they’d been jumping for days.
“Last week,” said defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. “It started last week. We came to practice on fire. That’s when all the energy started.”
Then Bob Stoops lit the match with a do-better talk to fans, who boiled the old stadium with a rowdiness unseen since that Nebraska epic eight years ago. Owen Field sizzled all night long, and that made the Sooners jump even more, and the pandemonium on the Oklahoma bench spilled over to the playing field.
Before you knew it, the fifth-ranked Sooners had annihilated No. 2 Texas Tech 65- 21 in what was supposed to be the game of the year but instead became endorsement for team of the year and player of the year.
And all that jumping might take the Sooners up where they think they belong. Above Texas and Texas Tech in the Big 12 South triangle.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients