Barry Switzer’s Collected Wisdom
Here he shares some more of that wisdom with us.
You get so busy in life and it’s moving so fast. It just goes by. You better stop and slow down.
I’ve arrived where I’ve arrived being who I am.
Surround yourself with good talent and a good team and let ‘em play.
When you recruit them and they go on their own, most of the time you know what you’re getting when you meet the family, what you’re signing on to.
I’m candid. I’m not guarded
You kind of somewhat had to be guarded in what you said. I don’t work for anyone anymore. I work for myself so what I say is what I mean. Doesn’t mean I’m right, but it’s what I believe and what I think. It’s a freedom and an independence that you have that you don’t have to be concerned about losing my job.
I think people want (my word) regardless of the value they place on it because of college football and the years I coached, the success I had and being at Oklahoma. It’s a marquee name and regardless of what my name was, Bob Stoops will have to live that someday and it’s just whoever’s coaching after he moves on, they’ll have to. It goes with the territory.
I’ve always known that I could have done better. I look back. I think everyone has regrets professionally when you think about your career. You will always look back at certain things and say, ‘I could have done that differently.’ I could have done that differently in college or in pro football. Hindsight gives you that.
Hey, don’t make an emotional decision. Back off. Take your time.
Take time to reflect and get more information and calm down and don’t let outside influences like the media influence you. They can be the pied piper, they can do things. They can create thinking. They think they can hire coaches, fire coaches, politicians – restore them, elect them. I mean, in the way they do have the ability to do that.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 34808Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 28627Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6992Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6680OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4639Tornadoes hit Kan., Okla.; no injuries reported
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3855Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3630College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3354Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3230Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients