Bob Stoops: Casey Walker questionable Saturday, and future past that is unclear
Stoops wouldn’t detail what he said was a non-football injury and “personal issue.”
If Walker is unable to play, JaMarkus McFarland and senior David King, who moved inside while Stacy McGee serves his indefinite suspension, will start at the tackle spots, with redshirt freshman Jordan Phillips playing a much larger reserve role than was originally expected.
When asked if Walker’s issue looked like it would be a long-term one, Stoops said, “I don’t know.”
OU certainly can and will survive UTEP and Florida A&M with a thinner-than-it-would-like defensive line. Then, the Sooners have a bye the week of Saturday, Sept. 15, and their final bye of the regular season two weeks later.
I had thought that Oklahoma getting both its byes so early could result in some health issues later in the season, when the Sooners are playing week after week without a break.
In light of recent events, a friend asked if OU fans could wind up seeing these early off weeks as a godsend.
Eh, maybe, although these injuries are obviously happening outside of games. Still, junior-college transfer defensive end Chaz Nelson is recovering from an injury and could be back around the start of October. There’s no way to know if McGee’s suspension will be lifted by then, although it does definitely seem doubtful.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11552Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10742OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6888Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5464Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5395Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4853Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4694OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4051Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3988Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3664As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients