3-2-1-30: Thirty last-minute notes and observations, 30 minutes before the opener
30. Sun Bowl Stadium is really cool. This is my first time here, and I’m really impressed with the overall scene here.
29. I’m thinking Brannon Green and Taylor McNamara will probably split time pretty evenly at tight end. Each have things they need to work on, and this is a good time to get better against real competition.
28. You think Austin Haywood is kicking himself right now? He would without question be the man at tight end if he could’ve gotten along with coaches.
27. What do you think it’d be like to live in that little community of houses just northeast of the stadium, in the mountains?
26. OU is 2-0 all-time against UTEP, beating the Miners 55-14 in 2000 to kickstart their national championship run, and then 68-0 in 2002.
25. It’ll be interesting to see how the punters do. UTEP’s Ian Campbell is among the best in the nation, but he also kicks in higher altitude for his home games. Wonder how Tress Way will do tonight?
24. But I doubt he has to punt much. I’ll be shocked if he punts more than two or three times all night.
23. It’s still really hot in El Paso, even at 8 p.m. local time.
22. That said, I bet the Pride of Oklahoma marching band is burning up in those uniforms.
21. Penn State transfer Justin Brown, a senior receiver, made a slick one-handed catch during warm-ups.
20. I bet Brown catches at least one touchdown tonight.
19. Do you think Bob Stoops has ever been more eager to reach a season-opening game? After the offseason they’ve had, I’m sure this game is a bigger relief than it usually is.
18. On second thought, I bet the 2006 opener (a few weeks after the Rhett Bomar saga) was a bigger relief.
17. I’ll be interested to see how often OU’s defense plays in any set other than a 4-2-5. I’ll bet it’s not much, if at all.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 83533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16617OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12334Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11110Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8849How to help tornado victims
- 8657Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8525Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7578Excessive speed, alcohol, operator inattention contributed to fatal boat crash, report states
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients