Oklahoma football: Bob Stoops & Collin Klein’s father
Bob Stoops dropped a golden nugget on us early in the week. In his first full-time coaching gig, at Kent State in 1988, one of Stoops’ fellow staff members was Doug Klein, whose son you might have heard of. Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein.
It’s a small world.
Doug Klein now is a financial consultant in Colorado. His son is one of college football’s best players, a throwback quarterback who can hurt you with the pass and hurt you with the run. Twenty-four years ago, Doug Klein and Stoops were together on Dick Crum’s first Kent State staff. Kent State went 5-6 that year, then Stoops got a job offer from Bill Snyder, who was leaving Iowa as offensive coordinator to take over at Kansas State. The same Bill Snyder who still coaches the ‘Cats and has turned Collin Klein into one of America’s most productive quarterbacks.
“Been a long time ago,” Doug Klein said this week. “Bob has always been very gracious in staying in touch.”
What does Klein remember about Stoops, who in 1988 was a 28-year-old defensive backfield coach who had spent the previous 10 years playing or helping coach at Iowa.
“I just remember him being a total class act,” Klein said. “Someone you knew was going to go on to do great things. He had a great mind for the game, had an excellent eye for players. Just a great guy. He and Carol are wonderful people.”
What does Stoops remember about Klein? “I was just at a Toby Keith concert with him in Manhattan this summer for a night,” Stoops said. “He’s a great guy. Detailed coach. Good coach. He was smart, unlike the rest of us, got out, made good money in business. Now he’s got better hours.”
Klein stayed on Crum’s staff the next two years. Crum was fired after the 1990 season, and Klein left coaching. Returned to Colorado, went into business and raised a family that includes Collin Klein.
Stoops said OU did not recruit Collin Klein. Klein is not an OU-style quarterback. Stoops rarely recruits a quarterback who can run a lick. Blake Bell is sort of the accidental running QB. But Klein has flourished at K-State.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7342Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6304Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6142UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients