Oklahoma football: Bob Stoops doesn’t necessarily disagree with you
OU fans have a list of, oh, 10,000 grievances. Good thing Festivus is a mythical holiday or we’d never see the end of it.
But at the airing of grievances, Stoops’ weekly press conference, Stoops didn’t exactly dismiss all of the fans’ concerns. Here are three schematic issues that fans are curious/bewildered/angry about, and Stoops’ response:
* The lack of commitment to the run game. OU tailbacks got 23 runs, out of 70 plays. That’s not a great ratio, and Stoops didn’t really pretend it was.
“We ran it well, we had a lot of good runs in there,” Stoops said. Having just 23 plays, “That’s part of the flow of the game.” Stoops pointed out that OU was in the two-minute drill during its final possession, so that skewed the numbers. “We’re always going to try to work the run game,” he said.
That wasn’t an indictment of Josh Heupel’s game plan. But something in Stoops’ voice indicated he wasn’t crazy about the run/pass ratio.
* The limited use of uptempo offense. OU’s hurryup scheme was used only sparingly, and Stoops acknowledged that it worked really well when used. “For the most part, we’ve done pretty well with it,” Stoops said. “And we’re aware of it. One of those instances, changing personnel, how fast you can go? Feel the need to change a play, that’s what slows it down.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12863Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11549Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5770Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5166Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4505OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4325Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 3991Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3926How to help tornado victims
- 3623Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3239Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients