Jim Thorpe Award: Oregon DB takes it home this week
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com – @anthonyVslater
Ekpre-Olomu picked off two Matt Scott passes, returning one 54 yards for a fourth-quarter touchdown, in the Ducks dominant 49-0 win over Arizona.
“This is my first year starting, so I was ready for them to throw my way every time,” Ekpre-Olomu said to reporters following the game. “I just wanted to show them what I could do.”
It was a game that many expected to be high-scoring, with Oregon’s potent attack meeting Arizona’s 46-point per game average. But the Ducks quickly dispelled that notion, holding the Wildcats to 332 total yards and no points, despite six trips to the red zone.
Ekpre-Olomu wins the award for the first time in his career. The others nominated were West Virginia’s Darwin Cook, Kent State’s Darius Polk and Troy’s Brynden Trawick.
No Oklahoma or Oklahoma State players have been nominated during any week this season.
List of previous winners
Week 1: Dee Milliner, Alabama
Week 2: Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State
Week 3: Phillip Thomas, Fresno State
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20967Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17573Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12128Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9661Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9194Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8604Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8594Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8358Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4994Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4806OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients