King, Ndulue start at DE against KSU; Wright said various matchups determine starters
NORMAN — With senior defensive tackle Casey Walker returning after missing OU’s first two games, senior David King moved back outside to defensive end for last week’s Big 12 opener against Kansas State.
King and sophomore Chuka Ndulue started the game as defensive ends, with senior R.J. Washington coming in off the bench for the first time this season.
King and Washington are close, and King was asked about the rotation shake-up this week.
“(Washington) started off the season starting the first two games, and then for whatever reason, coach (Bobby Jack) Wright decided that Chuka was a better fit,” King said. “It has to be frustrating, but that’s not something I want to talk about because it doesn’t pertain to me.”
Wright, though, said King and Ndulue were just a better match against Kansas State’s rushing attack, where Washington is a better pass rusher.
“(Kansas State is a) run-oriented football team, a team that’s using two tight ends, three running backs,” Wright said. “A bigger, stronger, more physical presence with David and Chuka. That was more the thinking there.”
He said the end starters could change week-to-week, depending on the opponent.
“Some guys have strengths that other guys don’t have,” Wright said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6385Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6185Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5448Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients