Sooners coach Bob Stoops remembers funny, heckling Texas Tech professor
NORMAN — Bob Stoops was asked Wednesday about Texas Tech’s rowdy crowd, and while answering, he remembered a professor whose heckles made him laugh.
“I miss the guy,” Stoops said. “He’d he heckling you, and he’d have like 10 students with him. Nothing real crude, just funny.”
Stoops remembers walking before the game with Steve Spurrier, Jr., OU’s former receivers coach, and Spurrier was wearing a green jacket.
“They said, ‘What’d, just win the Masters?’” Stoops recalled. “I came out there for warm-ups and had my visor on, and he called me a Spurrier wanna-be.
“I’m cracking up; I’m thinking, ‘This guy’s the best.’ You’ve gotta get entertained when they have a good one. … You don’t pay attention, except when they’re funny like that.”
Stoops said he doesn’t remember seeing the professor in 2007 or 2009, the last two times his teams visited Lubbock.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4180Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3718Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients