Rapid reaction: OU blasts Texas Tech, 41-20, in Lubbock
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com – @anthonyVslater
During a crucial 10-minute stretch in the second quarter, when both offenses seemed primed for huge games, the OU defense stiffened up. Sandwiched between Blake Bell and Kenny Stills touchdowns, the Sooner defense halted two long Red Raider drives and held them to field goals. It allowed the offense to get separation and the Sooners to slide into a comfortable lead they would only add to.
It was over when…
Javon Harris snatched an errant Seth Doege pass early in the third quarter, returning the interception 46 yards for a Sooner touchdown and 38-13 lead. It was in the midst of OU’s 27 unanswered points, which blew the game wide open, and part of a dominating defensive performance that included three interceptions. Entering the game, OU was last in the nation with only one takeaway.
Star of the game – QB Landry Jones
He took the brunt of the blame for OU’s last loss, so he deserves a majority of the credit for this huge road win. As bad as he was against Kansas State (and he was awful), Jones was equally as brilliant against the Red Raiders. He went 25/40 for 259 yards and two touchdowns, making no mistakes and showing poise and maturity in the face of growing scrutiny. In his past two games against Texas Tech, Jones has thrown for 671 yards and six touchdowns.
In his first collegiate start, Damien Williams showcased his complete game. His rushing production wasn’t overwhelming (14 carries for 48 yards), but he was OU’s leading receiver. Williams caught six balls for 82 yards, showing sure hands and a surprisingly slick ability to catch and run out of the backfield. The Sooners have found a solid feature back.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5083Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5032Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4602UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients