Oklahoma football: Blocking changes ignited rout of Tech
Texas Tech players after the game Saturday said they were confused by OU offensive schemes they hadn’t seen on film, and Tech coach Tommy Tuberville said the Sooners blocked things differently. True enough, says Bob Stoops.
“The offensive coaches did have some different wrinkles in what we’re doing,” Stoops said Monday. “What everybody misses, we had only played three games, hadn’t had opportunities to put everything in that you want to. They did adjust some things. And I still believe there’s more upside there that we can be better.”
OU wasn’t the only college football team playing just its fourth game last Saturday. Temple and Oregon State also have had two byes this season.
But it’s a good point by Stoops. Teams get better with practice. But they also get better with games.
“It was a solid win and one hopefully we can build on,” Stoops said of the 41-20 rout of Tech. “Now hopefully we can get in a rhythm. We’ve had two off weeks. Everyone else has played five and six games. You … improve, not just in practice, but when you’re on the field playing in game situations. Hopefully we can take some strides.”
Stoops declined to say what were OU’s blocking adjustments, but he did say they put Landry Jones in better position to succeed, in addition to Landry just playing better.
“All of that,” Stoops said. “It’s fair to say in what we’re doing offensively, we put him in better position. Also, he executed better. You look at some of his throws, he’d be going to his third receiver, he’s protected well. It’s never one guy. He unfortunately takes too much heat when it isn’t as good as you want it to be.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 21842Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 19892Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
- 7794Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients