Gloves and Dreams: Jamarkus McFarland’s interception
The senior defensive tackle was cold. It wasn’t a typical Oct. 6 in Lubbock, Texas. The sky was overcast and the temperature had dropped to 48 degrees with 10 miles per hour winds by kickoff.
He asked one of the equipment guys to grab his gloves.
Right before Texas Tech’s second offensive drive, McFarland’s gloves were brought to him. He told the equipment staffer that he would put them on during the next drive since the defense was already out on the field.
Four plays later, the ball was tipped and fell in to McFarland’s still cold hands for his first interception of his career.
It was a moment he’d dreamed about, literally.
Last week, McFarland was defending the screen in a dream. He caught an interception.
Everybody’s been asking how it ends. Did he wake up before he scored?
He doesn’t really remember — maybe he was tackled.
Against Texas Tech McFarland actually did go down.. The tackle came from Seth Doege, the Tech quarterback who threw the pick. That’s when the dream goes a bit fuzzy and reality went from bragging rights to frustration.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients