Oklahoma football: Texas’ biggest advantage
On Nov. 10, 2007, DeMarco Murray returned a kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown. That’s OU’s last kickoff return for a touchdown.
Here’s how long is the drought. Since that night, I personally have seen Texas return four kickoffs for touchdowns. I only see the Longhorns play twice a year. I’ve seen every OU-Texas and OSU-Texas game since that 2007 OU-Baylor game. So that’s nine Longhorn games I’ve seen.
All told, starting with the 2008 season, Texas has returned seven kickoffs for touchdowns. OU zero. Thus a huge advantage for the Longhorns in the Cotton Bowl on Saturday.
Bob Stoops has expressed satisfaction with his kickoff game. OU is averaging 24.6 yards per return, though that’s just eight kick returns, with the slew of touchbacks we now have in college football. Opponents are averaging 19.4 yards per return, with no touchdowns.
Texas is averaging 26.5 yards on 15 returns. The Longhorns are allowing 20.4 yards on 27 returns. So OU and Texas are similar on production, with the Longhorns having the huge edge of the touchdown that helped UT beat OSU.
But conversely, OU has a big edge in kicking. That’s a huge turn from recent years. But Michael Hunnicut has become a solid foot for the Sooners. He’s five of six on field goals, with the only miss coming at Texas-El Paso when holder Tress Way dropped the snap. Hunnicut a year ago was 21 of 24 on field goals and was solid from long distance — 4-of-4 last season from 40 yards or longer.
Meanwhile, Texas has been sporadic. The Longhorns are 4-of-9 on field goals this season. Nick Jordan is 3-of-7 and Penn State transfer Anthony Fera is 1-of-2, including a 41-yard miss with five minutes left that would have tied the game. Fera made a 38-yarder against West Virginia. Jordan made a 38-yarder against New Mexico.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 5063Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4898Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4189'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients