Oklahoma places seventh in preseason poll
The Sooners return six of last season’s top scores and all five starters.
Last year, Oklahoma was picked ninth in the preseason and ended up finishing Lon Kruger’s first year at the helm in eighth place. That team went 15-16.
The Sooners bring back “88 percent of their scoring, 81 percent of their rebounding and 78 percent of their assists.” Senior Steven Pledger is the leading returning scorer in the conference (16.2), while Romero Osby is the leading returning rebounder (7.3). Senior Sam Grooms also returns after he ranked second in assists last season (6.0)
Amath M’Baye, a transfer from Wyoming, was also named Preseason Newcomer of the Year for the Big 12.
Oklahoma makes its first appearance in front of a crowd on Oct. 20 for its intrasquad scrimmage. The Sooners have their exhibition games on Nov. 2 and Nov. 7 and begin the regular season at Lloyd Noble Center on Nov. 7 against Louisiana-Monroe.
2012-13 BIG 12 PRESEASON POLL
Team (First-place votes) Points
1. Kansas (9)* 81
2. Baylor (1) 63
3. Oklahoma State 60
4. Texas 58
5. Kansas State 54
6. West Virginia 45
7. Oklahoma 34
8. Iowa State 28
9. Texas Tech 18
10. TCU 9
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3613How to help tornado victims
- 3586Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3014Oklahoma City Thunder: In his absence, Russell Westbrook's value becomes obvious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients