OU-Notre Dame: Halftime thoughts, notes, stats and quotes
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com – @anthonyVslater
- Notre Dame has 106 rushing yards on 14 carries (7.6 per), including an impressive 62-yard scamper by Cierre Wood for the game’s only touchdown. OU, meanwhile, has three yards on 16 carries (0.2 per). That’s the biggest difference in the game.
- Landry Jones has move the ball relatively well, throwing for 194 yards and marching between the 20′s with a fluid hurry-up offense. But mistakes and bad breaks have limited the Sooners output on the scoreboard. An errant first quarter snap and a mysterious holding call on a Blake Bell touchdown were the two backbreakers.
- OU coaches lauded Fresno State transfer Jalen Saunders throughout the preseason, saying the shifty receiver could contribute right away. Guess they weren’t joking. Saunders, three games after he was ruled eligible, had a career-high eight receptions for 84 yards in the first half. All of that came in the first quarter. He’s listed at 5-foot-9 and 160 pounds (and that might be generous), but man is the little man elusive and productive.
- Manti Te’o lived up to the hype. And then some. He terrorized the OU offense, showing up everywhere and compiling 11 first half tackles and a sack. A legit Heisman candidate.
- Everett Golson, Notre Dame’s redshirt freshman who many believed the game hinged on, played decent in the first half. A lot better than people figured he would. He’s only got 55 yards passing and 24 rushing, but he hasn’t made the key mistake most thought he would.
- Damien Williams has nine carries for 15 yards.
- Dom Whaley doesn’t have a carry.
- “I can’t talk about officiating, that’s a set up question…They said it’s holding. Judgement call.” -An angry Bob Stoops at halftime
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16166Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12480Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11351'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11233Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11000Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10503OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7225Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6948Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6833Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6790Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Send me a copy of this email.