Iowa State assistant coach Kenith Pope: Paul Rhoads coaches like Barry Switzer did
Pope, who has coached running backs at Iowa State for the past four years under Paul Rhoads, has been part of several college football staffs over his more than two-decade career, so he knows something special when he sees it.
In a telephone interview with The Oklahoman, Pope said Rhoads is the type of coach any parent would love their son to play for.
“Barry (Switzer) was a very energetic guy, and he does remind me of coach Rhoads,” said Pope, who was an Oklahoma defensive back in the early 1970s.
“You felt like you could walk in his office anytime, and you felt good about having a conversation with coach Switzer. He knew what to say, he knew how to motivate you each week, and he was fun to be around.
Pope has been an assistant coach all over the country — Alabama, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and UNLV have all been stops during his career.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients