Surprises and Underachievers: The best and worst of Oklahoma against Iowa State
Ames,Iowa — Bob Stoops is tied with Bud Wilkinson.
The coaches both rank second in wins at the helm of Oklahoma with 145 victories.
Barry Switzer leads the list with 157 wins. The Sooners 35-20 victory wasn’t a big surprise though. But there were some new ones this week:
Brennan Clay’s feet. The guy can run. It may not be for massive 20-plus gains but he can move the ball. Forward progress – that’s all. But that leads us to this …
Dom Whaley not getting the start. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops told some media members on Wednesday that if starter Damien Williams was still suffering from the ankle sprain he sustained during the Notre Dame game then the starter would be Dominique Whaley. Brennan Clay got the start and 24 carries. Whaley touched the ball once. So is Whaley not practicing as well as Brennan Clay because his few games to shine were last year or is he not as healed as Oklahoma led everyone to believe?
Tyrus Thompson’s start. The offensive line has lost starter after starter to injuries, but the next man who has stepped up in the starter’s place has done his job. Left tackle Lane Johnson probably could have played if the game would have been against a ranked opponent like Kansas State — at least Stoops said Wednesday that he was practicing and looked fine and would be fine to play against the Cyclones. Anyways, Johnson didn’t start and didn’t play a single down. Tyrus Thompson was Oklahoma’s starting left tackle and he blocked well enough to not let anyone through the line for a sack and helped Landry Jones throw for more than 400 yards.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4061As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3840Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3249Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients