Oklahoma’s Javon Harris, Bob Stoops talk Harris’ early personal foul against Baylor
On Nov. 3 at Iowa State, linebacker Corey Nelson grabbed Cyclones quarterback Steele Jantz’s facemask on the first play from scrimmage.
Saturday against Baylor — on a third-down play — a pass intended for Antwan Goodley was tipped in the air, and senior safety Javon Harris hit him high, drawing a 15-yard penalty.
“I know I’ve been susceptible to that rule and trying to find that medium to where I should hit someone,” Harris said Monday. “I’ve always been a firm believer in going hard. Sometimes they count it as that type of play and sometimes they let it go as a big hit.
“A lot of times, when you are going hard, you don’t think too much about what’s going on as far as if I should hit this guy in the legs … to me, I’m never going to aim at a guy’s face mask. I honestly didn’t think that I did on Saturday.”
Harris admitted that it’s a tough call for everyone involved, including the officials.
“They have to make a call, but I also have to make a play,” Harris said. “When it comes down to it, you have to look at it and play hard. As long as I continue to play hard, sometimes it will get called, sometimes it won’t. You have to find a happy medium.”
Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said that, on Thursday of last week, he showed his defensive players a video clip from the Big 12 about targeting.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4779Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4600Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4155Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients