Morgantown, W.Va., Mayor Jim Manilla has friendly wager with other Big 12 mayors
Manilla, the mayor of Morgantown, W.Va., issued a challenge to the mayors of Waco, Texas; Manhattan, Kan.; Fort Worth, Texas; Norman; and Lawrence, Kan. — all the Big 12 cities with universities whose football teams play 2012 games at West Virginia.
“I put a challenge out to all the mayors, that whoever lost the game would have to wear the team shirt at the next council meeting,” Manilla said in a telephone interview with The Oklahoman.
“The reason I’m doing it is to reach out. This is the inaugural year for West Virginia to be in the Big 12, and I thought that would be a good gesture to do that.
“I’m not faring too well right now.”
Manilla won the first such bet when the Mountaineers beat Baylor in a 70-63 shootout on Sept. 29. But since then, West Virginia has lost back-to-back home games to Kansas State and TCU.
He wore a purple K-State shirt at Morgantown’s Oct. 30 city council meeting. A few days later, on Nov. 3, West Virginia lost in overtime at home to TCU.
“I haven’t got their shirt, but supposedly it’s on the way,” Manilla said. “I need to wear it at the next council meeting.”
Manilla said the challenge has been issued to and accepted by Norman Mayor Cindy Rosenthal.
Before the Mountaineers’ first Big 12 home game, Manilla had several West Virginia shirts made locally by SustainU, a Morgantown company that makes clothing from 100-percent American recycled products.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients