Fourteen Sooners make Academic All-Big 12 team; Ikard named finalist for Wuerffel Award
PITTSBURGH — Fourteen Oklahoma football players were named to the 2012 Academic All-Big 12 team, the conference announced Thursday.
Eleven Sooners made the first team, and three were second teamers.
Junior center Gabe Ikard was one of just three Big 12 players named to the team with a 4.0 grade point average.
Other first-team members are: quarterback Blake Bell, linebacker Jaydan Bird, linebacker Daniel Franklin, kicker Michael Hunnicutt, offensive lineman Lane Johnson, defensive lineman David King, defensive lineman Jamarkus McFarland, fullback Trey Millard, defensive back Julian Wilson and offensive lineman Austin Woods.
Second-team members from OU were lineman Bronson Irwin, defensive back Gabe Lynn and linebacker Corey Nelson.
Also Thursday, Ikard was named as one of eight finalists for the 2012 Wuerffel Trophy, awarded annually to the college football player who best combines community service, academic achievement and athletic prowess.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15085Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 9747OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6716Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5465Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5340OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5237Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5225Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3827Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3819Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3648As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients