Rapid reaction: OU escapes Morgantown with 50-49 win over West Virginia
OU held off West Virginia 50-49 in Morgantown on Saturday night. Here’s some rapid reaction:
It was over when…
…Landry Jones drilled Kenny Stills on a slant with 24 seconds left, scoring the 14th and final touchdown of a wild game. Whoever had the ball last, with enough time to move it, was going to win. OU drew the fortunate stick.
Star of the game – Tavon Austin
Regardless of the result, in a game of ridiculous performances, Tavon Austin’s will stick out far above the rest. In a surprising wrinkle, Dana Holgorsen turned his star slot receiver into a running back. Good choice. Austin ran for 344 yards (the third most in Big 12 history) and two touchdowns on 21 carries (16.4 yards per rush), adding 82 receiving yards and 146 return yards. That’s 572 all-purpose yards. The previous Big 12 record, which Austin shattered, was 372 all-purpose yards. My head hurts.
Landry Jones has played in 49 games as a Sooner but, from a production standpoint, never had one quite like Saturday night. The senior threw for 559 yards and six touchdowns, both career-highs, on 38/51 passing, leading a pair of impressive fourth-quarter touchdown drives. The yards were a school record. Sure, he made a couple errant passes and did his damage against one of the nation’s worst defense’s. But he was confident and clutch. And the main reason OU pulled this one out.
Stedman Bailey – 13 catches for 205 yards and four touchdowns
Kenny Stills – 10 catches for 91 yards and four touchdowns
Jalen Saunders – Seven catches for 123 yards and a touchdown
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3460Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3276Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3162Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients