Bob Stoops dismisses rumors about Tennessee vacancy
Looks like Tennessee won’t get its ‘conquering hero‘ in Bob Stoops this time around.
Despite the speculation around Knoxville-area newspapers and radio, Oklahoma’s coach said Monday he will remain in Norman.
Stoops is in his 14th year as head coach of the Sooners, who are coming off a 51-48 overtime victory against No. 21 Oklahoma State.
On Sunday, though, Gene Chizik from Auburn, Danny Hope from Purdue, Jon Embree from Colorado and Tom O’Brien from NC State joined former Tennesse coach Derek Dooley as head coaches who lost their jobs this season. Dooley was fired by Tennessee on Nov. 18 after the program lost to Missouri 51-48 in quadruple overtime.
Dooley’s tenure in Knoxville ended just shy of three seasons. He finished his Vols’ coaching career with a 15-21 overall record and 4-23 SEC record.
At Oklahoma, Stoops ranks second in wins among Sooners coaches. He passed Bud Wilkinson’s 145 victories with Oklahoma when OU beat Baylor two weeks ago, 43-24. Stoops is 10 wins shy of passing legendary coach Barry Switzer’s 157 victories to become the winningest coach in program history. Stoops has 148 wins at the helm of the Sooners.
The Oklahoman asked Stoops about the recent rumors swirling about him in Tennessee.
“Me? Oh, I didn’t know that,” Stoops said. “I like the job I have. No, I love the job I have and the people I work for so I’ll try and keep it another year.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14558OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11841Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8216Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6574Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6065Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5464Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4374Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4081'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
- 4060Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4007Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients