Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops: Family’s coaching success is ‘pretty amazing’
OU defensive coordinator Mike Stoops was Arizona’s head coach from 2004-2011, and their younger brother Mark Stoops was hired as Kentucky’s head coach this week.
Another brother, Ron Stoops, Jr., is an assistant coach at Youngstown State.
“We were fortunate to grow up with great parents and a dad that brought us around sports all the time,” Bob Stoops said. “We were around it all year round.”
Ron Stoops, Sr., was a baseball and football coach at Cardinal Mooney High in Youngstown, Ohio, but he also played baseball until he was in his 40s.
When he began struggling to see the spin of the ball, he had to switch to fast-pitch softball.
He also scored high school basketball games.
“None of us knew anything else,” Bob Stoops said. “We were always able to go with him. If we weren’t running around the neighborhood, we were up there in the gym.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3633Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3584How to help tornado victims
- 3499Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients