Big 12 football: OU-Baylor could move to Thursday in 2013
In 2012, the Big 12 played four non-Saturday games: Baylor-SMU on a Sunday, Baylor-Louisiana Monroe on a Friday, Texas-TCU on Thanksgiving night and Iowa State-West Virginia on a Friday.
In 2013, the Big 12 is contractually obligated to its television networks for four Thursday night games.
One has been selected – Texas Tech at Texas on Thanksgiving night. And another is all but decided –Texas at Iowa State on Oct. 3.
But nothing else is scheduled. And only three games could be moved to Thursday without making teams play on a short week:
Texas Tech at Kansas, scheduled for Oct. 5. Both have byes the previous Saturday. But Oct. 3 is the night that Texas-ISU apparently will be played. Can’t play two games on Thursday night.
And finally, OU at Baylor, scheduled for Nov. 9. Looks like a natural to be moved to Thursday, Nov. 7. The Sooners have been adamant that they have no interest in hosting a Thursday night game. But other schools have been open to it, including Baylor.
Baylor plays at Kansas on Oct. 26, then has an open date on Nov. 2. OU hosts Texas Tech on Oct. 26, then has an open date on Nov. 2.
Other than Nebraska games on Thanksgiving Day or Thanksgiving Friday (12 total between 1971 and 1995), the Sooners have not hosted a non-Saturday game in more than 40 years.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients