Rapid reaction: OU falls 69-60 to Kansas State in Manhattan
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
OU lost its first Big 12 game in Manhattan on Saturday, falling 69-60 to #16 Kansas State. Here’s some rapid reaction:
Leading for a majority of the first half, OU looked sharp in a tough road environment. But then Rodney McGruder happened. In a 90-second span late in the first half, K-State’s star shooting guard went on a personal 9-2 scoring run, drilling three consecutive threes and turning a two-point deficit into a five-point lead, one the Wildcats would never relinquish.
It was over when…
…Angel Rodriguez, KSU’s unheralded point guard, dropped in seven clutch points and assisted on another one in the game’s final minutes, providing the necessary separation to close out a pesky Sooner squad. OU kept it close for a majority of the second half, but could never put together enough stops to fuel a big enough push.
Star of the game – Rodney McGruder
In two wins against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State this year, McGruder is a combined 17/31 from the field and 9/18 from deep for 48 points. He’s an underrated shooter who, when he’s on, can take over a game. And he’s done that twice against the state teams this year, including Saturday’s game-high 20 points.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 72931Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14541Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8647Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7401How to help tornado victims
- 6540Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6504Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6358Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6112Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5411Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5319Details emerge about memorial service for Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients