OU basketball senior Sam Grooms talks about the difficulties of playing in Allen Fieldhouse
It’s been almost 20 years since Oklahoma stepped into Allen Fieldhouse and won a game.
Senior reserve Sam Grooms knows that. He’s sat at Allen Fieldhouse and heard the fans.
The Oklahoman caught up with Grooms to talk to him about his experience with The Phog and what he’s going to tell guys who are playing for their first time in front of the Jayhawk fans.
What’s it like to play in Allen Fieldhouse?
Allen Fieldhouse is probably the loudest place I’ve ever played in in my life. K State was loud but The Phog is just ridiculous. I just feel like it’s more compact. The students are right there and they just scream and yell for every ltitle thing. The environment it feels different. And probably because the court is low – it feels like its right in the dome.
In all the years you’ve been to Allen, does something stick out to you that kind of caught you off guard?
Besides how they treated James last year. They were basically screaming at him ‘You’re the manager.’ They kept saying it the whole game. They just say anything and everything to get under your skin. I’m trying to warn everybody that this is going to be — you think K State is bad. Kansas is probably the worst and they’re accustomed to winning too so that makes it even worse, in my opinion.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 28939Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 26978Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5000Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2336Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 2282Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients