OU guard Je’lon Hornbeak and BU center Isaiah Austin have a history of competition
Oklahoma guard Je’lon Hornbeak will take on his former Grace Academy teammate, current Baylor center Isaiah Austin, tonight. The two have a history of playing against each other – outside of the one-on-one competition I wrote about today. During their freshman year, when the two played at rival Dallas high schools, Austin’s team won the first two meetings, but Hornbeaks’ team won the third.
Here’s how they break down:
First meeting: Austin’s high school team wins by three, according to Hornbeak.
Second meeting: Hornbeak is suspended from the game. Austin’s team wins again. Hornbeak blames it on him being suspended.
Third meeting: Hornbeak’s team wins “by something between 10 and 25, but that was four years ago and I can’t remember the exact score.” The victory is in the conference playoffs. Hornbeak’s team made it to the final four that year.
Here’s more from Hornbeak about the Kansas loss, what Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger expects from the Sooners now and becoming friends with Isaiah Austin:
I know it’s a 13-point loss but there’s still a chance that we could have won that game. We had a few breakdowns defensively and that led to a few easy points, second chance points. Cutting small things down like that could have actually put us back into the game. The defense was good, I’ll give them that. They didn’t play their best game and we didn’t play our best game .. we just gotta keep competing. That’s the big thing. … There were times when they were down 14, 15, 16 and we cut it back down to eight and it’s like we couldn’t get over that eight hump. That’s what really hurt us. We got down to eight, have a turnover and they put it pushed it back up to 10.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21368Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17546Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9430Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9175Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9080Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8212Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 7912Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 5969OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5028Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients