Sherri Coale jokingly blames assistant coaches for Oklahoma’s slow start vs. TCU Wednesday
NORMAN — Asked about her team’s difficult start to Wednesday’s 74-53 win over TCU, Oklahoma women’s basketball coach Sherri Coale — jokingly — threw her assistant coaches under the bus.
“We did a little experiment; I let my assistant coaches coach the first five minutes,” Coale kidded. “Then I said, ‘No, this is not working.’ … Obviously, I’m teasing.”
Nearly five minutes into the game, Oklahoma had missed eight shots and trailed 11-0.
The Sooners struggled early in both of their games against TCU, which still hasn’t won a conference game, this season. On Jan. 9 in Fort Worth, Texas, the Horned Frogs led OU at halftime by five points before the Sooners ultimately prevailed 85-79.
“I did not think that we were playing in a lackluster way, which I thought we did in Fort Worth,” Coale said. “I thought we were lacking energy and passive (in Fort Worth).
“That was not the case tonight. We just did not make shots. We settled, we shot quickly, we rushed everything a little bit. They came down and made big plays, and you look up and we are in a hole.
“Again, these guys did not panic. They would get a stop and then go get a score and string a few of them together. Next thing you know, we were right back in it.”
Coale’s team improved to 16-4 overall and 6-2 in Big 12 Conference play with Wednesday’s win, and returns to action at noon Sunday at West Virginia.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients