Q&A with linebackers coach Tim Kish
Linebackers coach Tim Kish came into the Adrian Peterson meeting room smiling and joking. He was in a great mood.
Maybe it was because he was just coming off his fourth day of practicing with his Sooners’ squad after a two week break.Or possibly it’s because his linebackers had a good practice in preparation for Heisman trophy winner Johnny Manziel and the Texas A&M Aggies on Jan. 4 in the Cotton Bowl.
Whatever it was, Kish opened up about recruiting, defending Manziel and third-down containment.
How was your time off?
“We needed it because we were a week behind in recruiting. It was important for us to get on the road.”
How far behind did you fall?
“Just a week. The teams that didn’t play that last week that we played had a week out on the road before us. Hopefully your recruiting, you’ve set the stage for where you’re at anyhow in the recruiting process and it shouldn’t have bothered us that mush. I don’t think it did.”
Containment is key for defending Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel?
“There’s no question about that. We’re talking about it on every play. That’s what he’s good at. there’s a little backyard football in him where he can just pull it down and take off.
“He’s very creative about how he gets loose and he’s very quick and athletic. we’ve got to watch our edges and make sure we’re in a rush. That’s for sure.”
How big is third-down defense in this game?
“Well, they’re No. 1 in the conference on third-down conversions so we’re very aware of that. They’re No. 1 in a lot of things in their conference so there’s a lot of things that we’ve got to take care off in third down and getting off the field and being able to put our offense out there is going to be a big factor in the game. There’s no question about it.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 1406Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 954Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 936Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients