The American Institute of Architects Central Oklahoma Chapter will present the 12th annual Architecture Tour from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 13.
The self-guided tour includes homes and commercial buildings and is a highlight of Architecture Week, April 8-14.
Advance tickets are $12 through Thursday online at www.aiacoc.org/tour, or at Taparchitecture, 415 N Broadway; at the chapter office, 3535 N Classen Blvd; or at Space 20th Century Modern, 4408 N Western Ave. Tickets will be $15 at any tour stop the day of the tour.
Tour locations are:
• 7 at Crown Heights, 1000 NW 37.
7 at Crown Heights, owned by Brent Swift Design Build — architect Butzer Gardner Architects — is a jewel of the historic Crown Heights neighborhood. The original 1938 structure and its well-manicured grounds are now home to six luxurious modern residences, ranging from 1,100 to 1,350 square feet with one or two bedrooms.
Details, finishes and amenities celebrate the historic structure's crisp modern lines and proportions. This location was on last year's tour under construction; this year the finished project is featured.
• Underground Loft, 3200 Sexton Drive in Norman.
From an early-1900s dugout near Mangum to their passive solar home in Norman, a fourth-generation Oklahoma family has returned to the comfort, safety and cost effectiveness of an underground prairie home. Architects Mike and Mary Price bought the home, designed by Norman architect Joe Hylton, and employed Mike's uncle, Donald Price of Price Group Architects, to oversee the interior renovation.
The reinforced-concrete house, with 14 inches of soil and sod on its roof, most recently survived a wildfire while homes across the street were destroyed. This passive solar home combines regional sensibility with modern style and serves as a tornado shelter for family and friends.
• Woodland Residence, 1009 Woodland Drive in Norman.
The house, designed in the late 1940s with inspiration drawn from Bruce Goff and a resurgence of Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired architectural tendencies, had become worn and overwhelmed by years of misunderstandings and ill-conceived modifications. It is now owned by Brent Swift. The architect for the project was Butzer Gardner Architects.
Through a series of incisions, removals, relocations and modest additions of opaque or perforated space, the parti of the L-shaped home and its nestled relationship to the outdoors and grand pecan in the front yard has been reestablished and invigorated. New internal-external spatial conditions are established or strengthened. A restored swimming pool and stone sunning deck toward the rear complement the landscape apron leading to a newly set entry door location.
• 430, 430 NW 12.
430, designed by Fitzsimmons Architects and owned by Midtown Renaissance, started as a nondescript two-story office building in 1955. It sat vacant for several years and the exterior slowly fell into disrepair. The bones of the building remained in good condition.
The structure consisted of board-formed two-way plate slabs supported on concrete columns. The architect suggested adding a third floor to meet the owner's desire to convert the building into apartments. This allowed for large two-story units with upper floors offering expansive decks and unparalleled views of downtown Oklahoma City and increased the area by 57 percent, from 14,160 to 22,336 square feet.
• Hiltgen Home, 1701 Woodhill Road in Edmond.
The Hiltgen Home, owned by Cary and Lisa Hiltgen, has more than survived the circumstances of the past 37 years. The original wood frame house was located in the Woodhills Addition of Edmond with an addition built in 1996. The Hiltgen family purchased the home on 5 wooded acres, with a swimming pool, pool house and lighted tennis court. The architects were Miles Associates.
An initial meeting resulted in plans to renovate the kitchen and master bedroom and add a garage, but just two weeks later, in February 2009, a tornado tore through the neighborhood, damaging more than 75 percent of the house plus a barn, tennis court and pool house. Complete renovation ensued, allowing the Hiltgens to redefine the architecture of their home from quintessential 1970s Colorado contemporary to contemporary rustic.
• WestTown Campus, 1729 NW 3.
The Homeless Alliance owns the property, designed by Taparchitecture. The Resource Center provides a one-stop shop for access to multiple social service agencies. Next door, the Day Shelter offers a place of refuge. WestTown resulted from the adaptive re-use and renovation of two metal buildings on a brownfield site near downtown. The metal roof and wall panels were removed and recycled while the rigid steel frames were salvaged and repurposed. The steel structure is expressed throughout the buildings, but is most evident at the entrance of the Resource Center.
• Lingo Construction Services, 123 NW 8.
The building is owned by Stan Lingo and was designed by Elliott & Associates Architects. The design focus is the transformation of the 1930 masonry-and-steel building into modern office space. The character of the 12,000-square-foot, two-story building, originally Sharp Auto Supply Co., had been diminished by thick layers of paint, historically inaccurate additions and years of misguided design efforts.
The concept for the project is called X-Ray. The design seeks to gracefully insert new elements, such as walls, beams and ceilings, as if they were “x-rayed” versions of typical construction methods. The approach exposes the internal framing and building systems through the use of clear polycarbonate panels rather than hiding all elements through typical opaque gypsum board.