Matt Price’s 10 best graphic novels of the year
From outer-space adventure to destructive romantic relationships, comic books in graphic novel format continued to push the medium forward. The following are the best graphic novels for 2007:
1. Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together by Bryan Lee O’Malley (Oni Press)
Scott Pilgrim, the slacker twentysomething musician, must still battle his new girlfriend Ramona’s ex-lovers in this fourth volume of the “Scott Pilgrim” series. This pioneering “arcade logic” series is the perfect hybrid of action and romance in a post-videogame, post-manga world.
2. Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan (Drawn and Quarterly)
Israeli cab driver Koby Franco is drawn into a mystery when his father’s ex-girlfriend Nuni contacts him. She wants to search for Koby’s father, who she says may have been killed in a terrorist attack. Koby’s search for his father becomes a search for himself, as Motan examines modern
Israel in this evocative graphic novel.
3. First in Space by James Vining (Oni Press)
“First in Space” is based on the true story of Ham, a chimpanzee trained by NASA to make the first sub-orbital space flight. Well-researched and compelling, “First in Space” is suitable for all ages.
4. All-Star Superman vol. 1 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (DC Comics)
Morrison and Quitely capture the charm of comics’ Silver Age with their take on Superman, a Man of Steel who creates Superman robots, and whose best pal Jimmy Olsen finds himself gaining strange powers. Several story tropes from the 1960s come full circle, as Morrison boils them down to their essence and represents them with modern flair.
5. The Homeless Channel by Matt Silady (AiT-Planet Lar)
Network exec Darcy Shaw thinks “The Homeless Channel” will both draw attention to the homeless plight, and be a good way to make some money, taking reality television to the next level.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients