Welcome the new Captain America!
America is back — and this time he’s brandishing a firearm.
The famous red-white-and-blue patriot was killed in “Captain
America” No. 25 last March. In Wednesday’s issue, “Captain America” No. 34, Captain
America’s former teen sidekick, Bucky, now carries the star-spangled shield.
Bucky, who spent decades under hypnosis as a Soviet agent, carries a firearm as well as the shield.
“It’s a little jarring for some people to see that,” said the book’s writer, Ed Brubaker, in an interview with the New York Daily News. “[But] people forget that Captain America carried a gun a lot in World War II. Every three covers there was a shot of Captain
America with a machine gun or a flamethrower – or an atom bomb.”
Jim Lane, owner of Dragonfyre Comics, 1501 N Meridian, said he’d heard some customers complain about the new Captain
America carrying a gun in preview images released by Marvel, but he thinks it works with the character. “He doesn’t have the power that (original Captain
America) Steve Rogers had, so he’s had to pick himself up an equalizer,” Lane said.
Brubaker told Vaneta Rogers at Newsarama.com that Bucky’s ongoing redemption dovetailed nicely with the death of Captain
America, even if it wasn’t planned in advance.
“I had no clue until I wrote issue No. 26 or No. 27 that Bucky was actually going to end up taking the mantle,” Brubaker said. “It didn’t occur to me that it was the next evolution of where Bucky was going. I knew all along that we would also have a redemption of Bucky storyline. So once I realized how big this story was getting, I realized I needed someone back in the costume with the shield eventually. And Bucky fit so perfectly into that. It all came together.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16859Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12191OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11527'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11272Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11209Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9827Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7998Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6986Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6951Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5788Oklahoma Corrections Department director to resign
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients