Marvel editor Tom Brevoort on New Cap
Marvel editor Tom Brevoort was nice enough to respond to a few of my questions about the new Captain America. Look for extended coverage of the New Cap in Friday’s Weekend Look.
Matt Price: When Captain America has been at his most relevant, he’s often reflected the United States of that era. Does the new Captain America reflect the current state of the union, and how?
Tom Brevoort: I could always just default to, “Because he carries a firearm now”, but I think there’s a lot more to it than that. For Steve Rogers, patriotism and idealism came naturally. He had this unshakable belief in the principles upon which our nation was founded, and tried to embody those principles as best he could. Bucky, though, is more conflicted. He’s been through some hard times, done some bad things, and isn’t entirely certain how he feels about the nation. For him, patriotism and idealism are a quest, which I think is very reflective of where we are as a nation at this moment. He’s not certain what he’s supposed to be doing, or how to go about it—he’s not sure how to stand for something larger than himself, and he’s a bti uneasy being placed in that situation. He just realizes that there’s this expectation, and this burden, in being Captain America. Whereas Steve’s inspiration was the country, Bucky’s inspiration is Steve.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients