Nova Week: Learning to love Richard Rider
I’ll be honest — for a long time I couldn’t figure out why everybody loved Nova so much.
They didn’t love him like Wolverine or Spider-Man. Those were easy characters to love, mostly because everybody else already like them and they were (and still are) EVERYWHERE.
But in the comic shop, it never took too long to hear somebody pipe up about their favorite character, the human rocket, Nova. And I thought they were morons.
“Oh, he can fly and he’s strong and there’s a Nova Corps? Kind of sounds like a rip-off of Green Lantern,” I’d say, watching their eyes bug out and beads of sweat form over their ever-reddening skin. “Besides, any member of the New Warriors is lame.”
Nobody ever took a swing at me because of my opinions, but I know a few people who considered bludgeoning me with a plus-2 mace. The truth was, they pitied me, and rightfully so. I just didn’t know the real Nova.
And I wouldn’t until Marvel came up with a smart way to use all those outer-space characters that were just floating in the cosmic void — “Annihilation.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3460Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3276Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3162Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients