Comics podcast: Criminal, RASL, Gravel, more
Special guest star Greg Elwell and I discuss this week’s great crop of new issues, including Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips’ “Criminal” No. 1, RASL, Gravel, and Mark Millar’s new book whose title I am unsure if I am allowed to post.
Matt: My favorite first issue of the week, despite the fact that I liked several of them, was “Criminal,” Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, sort of a relaunch of the Criminal brand from Icon. …
Greg: I have the entire first volume, it’s great. One of the things I’m glad to see is back is the back matter. Brubaker has gotten friends who really appreciate crime noir dramas and old movies, and has them writing about those movies in the back. … This is a great resource. It’s an appreciation of these movies. If you enjoy this book, and you really should, then the movies that they recommend are going to be great.
About Millar and John Romita Jr’s “Kick A–”:
Greg: To say that this is not in the 616 universe would be an understatement.
Matt: And also a nerdy thing to say.
Greg: The closest I can tell, this is basically happening in our universe. It’s a story about a kid who becomes a superhero. But like if I became a superhero. Which, well, in my case, I’d be a dumpy, middle-aged guy putting on a spandex outfit, where he’s a younger, lithe kid. But, very realistic, but still funny, and the dialogue reads really true.
– Matt Price
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12675Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11502Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6315Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5431Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 5078Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4467OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3964How to help tornado victims
- 3897Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3600Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3091Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients