‘Highlander’ actor looks at aspects of series
From Friday’s The Oklahoman:
By Matthew Price
Assistant Features Editor
The swashbuckling Adrian Paul has played Duncan McLeod, the immortal Highlander, through six seasons of television and a threatrical release.
In “Highlander: The Source,” now available on DVD, Paul reprises his role as Duncan McLeod as McLeod joins a group of immortals seeking the source of their immortality.
Paul said he thinks “Highlander” taps into a long-held human wish.
“I think everybody would like to live forever,” Paul said in a recent phone interview just after a day of filming the thriller “Nine Miles Down” in Budapest.
“It’s a nice dream to think we can live through the years and live longer than we actually do.” “Highlander” also appeals to those who are interested in history, Paul said, as the story of the immortals plays across the centuries. And the themes of the show, and films, are universal.
“You’re dealing with romance, love, hate, bigotry, and everybody understands those things across cultures in that respect,” Paul said.
Paul spent 18 years studying martial arts and swordplay, and the athletic Paul played semi-professional soccer as a young man. He’s studied the short sword, the long sword, and the staff, among others.
“Even though it’s sped up in ‘The Source’ in places, it was all me doing it,” Paul said. “It’s something I enjoy delving into.”
After finding success as a model, Paul broke into acting with a role in “The Colbys.” After appearing in films and off-Broadway, Paul guest-starred in “Murder, She Wrote” and “Beauty and the Beast” before joining the cast of “War of the Worlds.” Following that was “Highlander: The Series.”
Paul first brought Duncan MacLeod to motion pictures with “Highlander: Endgame,” where he met Christopher Lambert’s Connor MacLeod, his kinsman from the first “Highlander” pictures.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3632How to help tornado victims
- 3582Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3172Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients