ComicsPRO meeting: Hero Initiative
LAS VEGAS — Jim McLauchlin of the Hero Initiative discussed several upcoming fund-raising projects for the nonprofit organization, including a Mike Weiringo Tribute book, a Hulk sketchbook, and a collection of writings by Stan Lee.
The Hero Initiative provides financial assistance to comic-book creators in need. In a little over 7 years, the organization has helped more than 30 creators and their families with around $400,000 in aid.
McLauchlin told the story of one creator and his wife, who wished to remain anonymous. The two, both cancer survivors, faced long-term medical issues. Their finances were at the point where they rolled pennies to buy milk, and used a free coupon for Cheerios, and that was all the food they had. They were within days of having their electricity cut off. The Hero Initiative was able to step in, keep the lights on, and provide some aid and hope to this family.
Projects in the works to help fundraise for the Hero Initiative include:
* Mike Wieringo’s final story
Marvel Comics donated the final seven pages drawn by Wieringo, as well as the script to the story, to the Hero Initiative. The organization has contacted an all-star lineup to finish the story, which will be released as a 48-page book for $4.99. There are 27 pages of story, along with tributes to Mike Wieringo. This book will be in the June “Previews” from Diamond Comics Distributors.
* Stan’s Soapbox
With the permission of Marvel Comics and Stan Lee, Hero will collect the “Stan’s Soapbox” columns that used to appear in the pages of Marvel Comics. McLauchlin said this book will possibly come out in November or December.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients