More from He-Manâ€™s Dean Stefan, part 3
Dean Stefan talks about changes made from the 1980s â€śMasters of the Universeâ€ť to the 2002 â€śHe-Man and the Masters of the Universe,â€ť as well as fan reaction to the project.
Matt Price: Adam and He-Man are different in this series, much moreso than in the original series.
Dean Stefan: It was a very conscious decision to age him up and to, more importantly, make him different looking from Adam, so it wouldnâ€™t beg the obvious question, gee, they look exactly alike, why donâ€™t his parents recognize him? And even the sword transforms a bit. Even though itâ€™s Adamâ€™s sword it becomes bigger when he becomes He-Man. Part of that was knowing the audience was more sophisticated, our Cartoon Network audience would be a little older. And similarly, we didnâ€™t make Battle Cat/Cringer talk. And that was the big debate among fans, why doesnâ€™t he talk. And we just felt that it skewed a little young to have a talking animal. And similarly, the animators and the sophistication of the animation, we felt like they could express everything a cat would say by expressions. Whereas in the older series, for all its charm, I donâ€™t think they had the luxury of great animation and super-expressive face movements.
And the other big thing that the fans didnâ€™t like was that Marlena, Adamâ€™s mother, was not from Earth in our version, where she was in the original He-Man. To me that was a no-brainer. As soon as you bring in Earth, it begs the question, what time era are we in? If itâ€™s Earth it takes it out of the world of fantasy, into weâ€™re up on another planet, rather this is a universe that exists unto itself.
I think a lot of that stuff, like Marlena being from Earth, came about later in the original He-Man series. â€¦ They were making stuff up probably more as they went along, we had the luxury to map it out and figure out an arc for the season.
And also, going forward, we had other arcs that we never got to implement.
Matt Price: What was the fan response to â€śHe-Man and the Masters of the Universeâ€ť?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients