Captain America – the more things change…
One of my favorite writers is Mark Gruenwald, who wrote “Squadron Supreme” for Marvel and handled the adventures of Captain America for over 100 issues. I’m sure part of why he’s my favorite stems from his being the writer of my favorite character when I was a youngster, but I think a lot of his writing holds up, and, sadly, is for the most part not available in trade paperback format.
Gruenwald died in 1996 at age 43 from a heart attack. Marvel has a page about Gruenwald’s accomplishments at Marvel.com.
My favorite storyline by Gruenwald — and one of my favorite storylines of all time — is the “President Fires Cap” storyline from “Captain America” 332-350 (with seeds to the storyline going back as far, perhaps, as issue No. 321.)
Gruenwald talked about this storyline with “Amazing Heroes” in 1988, in issue No. 146. (This is one of the issues I was most excited to get from my fanzine find at Planet Comicon.) He talks about the only surefire “gimmicks” to revive interest in an ongoing superhero comic.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7475Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6996Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6363UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients