Regular Season Countdown
The season begins Tuesday with a nationally televised double header on TNT, Portland vs. San Antonio and Lakers vs. Rockets. The Sonics open the season in Denver on Wednesday and play their home opener against the Suns next Thursday. Even though we’re in the middle of the World Series, a terrific NFL season and a wacky college football season, I’m ready for the NBA season.
I’ll be in Seattle covering the Sonics’ home opener next week, reporting on all things basketball in the Northwest from Kevin Durant’s bum ankle to the state of the franchise as it prepares for what could be its final season in Seattle. Clay Bennett is supposed to be in attendance, so we should get some answers to when he plans on filing for relocation to Oklahoma City.
Speaking of answers, a decision in the court case between the Sonics and the city of Seattle could come later today or some time on Friday. A Washington judge will be deciding whether or not the case must stay in court or can be transferred to a panel of arbitrators. That’s only the beginning, though. The legalities still will have to play out no matter which forum handles the dispute.
NBA Commissioner David Stern has a conference call this afternoon. I’ll be on it, and I’m sure I or someone else will ask about the state of the Sonics. I’m not expecting much more from him than what he said about a 1 1/2 weeks ago when he said it was “all bad.” But we’ll see. You never know.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6649Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6166How to help tornado victims
- 6095Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients