Steve Kelley's Thoughts
SEATTLE – Seattle Times columnist Steve Kelley was nice enough to share his thoughts with me after the game on the state of the Sonics. If you aren’t familiar with his work by now, I suggest you read up on him. He’s outspoken and doesn’t sugarcoat anything. I’m talking about a guy who has ripped the Sonics organization (insert Clay Bennett here) so much that his own maintenance man fears being around him. True story. Here are his thoughts on the uncertainty of the Sonics….
On Clay Bennett
I think the one thing he did, and it’s what (Aubrey) McClendon did really, that woke everybody up. And it was almost like before he made those statements everybody was like leave, I don’t care. And that just fired everybody up. It fired the city council up. What I think is happening now, and who knows if it’s too late or not, the first thing is to keep them to their lease which gives them time. Get an arena deal done. One thing about him is he hasn’t negotiated ever. Just closed the doors and said we’re not coming out until we’ve got a deal. He hasn’t done that. He’s gone to the legislature. I don’t think he’s ever talked to the mayor. So forgetting that, I think there’s going to be an arena deal that’s exclusive of him. Once they get the arena deal done then all these fat cat owners will come forward and say we’re willing to buy the team. They’ll go got Stern and ask Stern to help. And then my guess is, if the arena deal’s in place and it’s palatable to the NBA, then Stern goes to Clay and says look I don’t want to lose
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients