Seattle columnist on the Sonics
Here’s a link to an interesting piece in today’s Seattle Post-Intelligencer by columnist Art Thiel, who suggests that the Hornets could end up back in OKC after Clay Bennett sells the Sonics to Seattle businessmen and buys the Bees from George Shinn.
About the Hornets, he writes, “Nevertheless, the franchise may well be in play, creating two possibilities in Seattle:
- A Seattle ownership purchases the Hornets for a move, or
- More likely, StudentSonics owner Clay Bennett no longer tolerates losses in the wallet as well the courts of law and basketball. He sells to a local ownership group, taking his proceeds to buy the Hornets for less than the $350 million paid for the Sonics in 2006 and move them to his Oklahoma City hometown (Shinn and Bennett could be forgiven the relocation fee). “
Thiel points to the renegotiated lease in New Orleans, which includes an opt out clause if the team fails to average 14,735 from Dec. 1, 2007 through the end of next season.
Regarding the above scenario, he goes on to say, “But the movers and shakers in Seattle, New Orleans, Oklahoma City and New York know the path is there. The escape clause wouldn’t have been created and accepted if the need for an out wasn’t dramatic.
The NBA legitimately can say that it tried in New Orleans. It also wants to stay in Seattle, and wants to reward Bennett and Oklahoma City (not Shinn) for being good NBA citizens after Katrina.”
There is also this story on the Sonics situation from the New York Times, more of a general overview of the battle in Seattle.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients