Sonics could have a trial date Tuesday
By Darnell Mayberry
The Seattle SuperSonics on Tuesday could move a step closer to learning what city they’ll call home next season.
Attorneys for the Sonics and the city of Seattle are scheduled to appear in a Washington state federal court at noon Central time before U.S. District Court Judge Marsha J. Pechman, who has ordered a scheduling conference, according to court records.
During the estimated one-hour conference, Pechman could set a trial date for the case, a significant step which would go a long way in determining whether the Sonics can relocate to Oklahoma City next season or must play in Seattle next year while the litigation plays out. An assistant to Pechman declined to comment on today’s agenda.
Attorneys for the Sonics, however, have requested a March 24 trial date, which likely would be concluded in time for the Sonics to relocate for the start of next season. The city of Seattle’s legal team seeks an Oct. 27 trial date in order to have more time to prepare and present its case.
An Oct. 27 date would mean the trial would begin just days before the start of the 2008-09 NBA season, effectively preventing the team from relocating.
The Oklahoma-based ownership group of the Sonics is attempting to escape the final two years of their current KeyArena contract by fulfilling the remaining financial obligations. Seattle officials have declined a buyout and hope to bind the team to its contract and make the Sonics play in Seattle until the contract’s expiration in 2010.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 56820Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14719Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9122Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7282Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6520Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6448How to help tornado victims
- 6374Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6257Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6000Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5062Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients