Sonics get June trial date
By Darnell Mayberry
The court battle between the city of Seattle and the Sonics has been scheduled to go to trial in June, a halfway point between the parties’ preferences which was settled on by U.S. District Court Judge Marsha Pechman today.
Pechman set a trial date of June 16 during a 10 a.m. scheduling conference in a Washington court that brought together attorneys from both sides. Pechman also issued a trial calendar which contains every pertinent date and deadline leading up to the trial.
Attorneys for the Sonics had requested a March 24 trial date, the earliest possible date that likely would have concluded the case in time for the Sonics to relocate to Oklahoma City for the start of next season.
The city of Seattle’s legal team sought an Oct. 27 trial date in order to have more time to prepare and present its case. With the 2008-09 NBA season likely starting on or around Halloween, the Sonics would not have been allowed to move in time for next season.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients