A new Sonics deadline
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, who leads the Seattle-based group that is interested in buying the Sonics, has placed a deadline on Washington state lawmakers to approve the state’s needed $75 million in the $300 million financial plan to remodel KeyArena. The Seattle Times has the story here.
You can read Ballmer’s letter to Washington leaders here.
Under the plan, Ballmer and his group would pay $150 million and the city of Seattle and state would each pay $75 million toward the project. Ballmer’s group would also attempt to buy the Sonics from the Oklahoma-based ownership group or purchase a replacement team if one becomes available in the event the Sonics relocate to Oklahoma City. Sonics chairman Clay Bennett maintains that his franchise is not for sale.
In the article, Ballmer says the $150 million in private money will go away if lawmakers don’t authorize a taxpayer contribution by April 10, before the NBA Board of Governors meets in New York on April 17-18.
“We will need to go back to our other responsibilities and our offer will expire,” Ballmer wrote in a letter to Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire.
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3847Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3762Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 3552OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients