Sonics banner to fly in Olympia
For the second time in a month, an airplane banner has been purchased by Sonics fans in an attempt to raise awareness of their fight to keep the team in Seattle.
The banner will be flown from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday around the Washington State Capitol Building in Olympia. The banner will read “Save Our Sonics: Next Year Is Too Late!”
The message is aimed at state leaders who said Monday that they will not approve $75 million in funding for a KeyArena renovation before the current legislative session ends Thursday. State officials have said that they remain open to looking into a proposal next year.
Sonics fans in Seattle, however, are trying everything to sway the minds of state officials. On Saturday, more than 300 fans held a rally on the steps of the capitol. Fans have also organized to flood the capitol with letters, e-mails and phone calls.
During the All-Star Weekend festivities in New Orleans last month, the same fan group, Sonics Fans United, purchased an airplane banner that read “Stop Clay–Sonics Must Stay.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6008UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 5965Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4858Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients